The striking setting and impressive design of the Grade B listed Doo’cot Park pavilion in Perth combined with its historical significance created the perfect context for Forster to demonstrate their skills in heritage tiling.
The pavilion was designed by Smart, Stewart and Mitchell and built between 1924/1925. The Gannochy Trust was later founded in 1937 by Arthur, known as A K Bell, for charitable and public purposes as a direct result of his family’s successful distilling business. In addition to the cricket ground A K built the innovative Gannochy housing estate between 1925 and 1932 to provide high quality rented accommodation for the people of Perth.
The Sandtoft Heritage Service provided an original specification for the contract. Works to the cricket pavilion involved stripping the existing tile and retiling with Sandtoft Greenwood handmade clay pantiles. Close attention to detail was required throughout but particularly to the facetted bell shaped tower. Locally sourced larch bark timber was utilised to provide barge and fascia detailing. Traditional lime mortar methods were adopted in keeping with the striking design. All leadwork was replaced to meet the highest required standards.